Planning a holiday can be stressful and time consuming. A rented car makes things much easier and gives you freedom and independence to visit new places. However, there are many options in the car rental market and it can be difficult to know what to look out for when you rent a car. Here is a word to the wise for a positive car rental experience.
Renting a car is an apt choice if you are in Australia. The country is expansive and has many hidden gems along the coast and in the bush lands that can only be accessed by car. Flying from city to city means that you miss out on some of the most unique scenery and natural landscapes Australia has to offer.
It’s very easy to get car hire options with companies like Hertz at all major airports in Australia and in major cities and towns as well. This means that you can pick up a car when is convenient for you and drop it at the same or different location. But in a new and strange city, it doesn’t harm to keep certain things mind when you go for a car hire. So, before you go for it, it is worth asking the following questions:
- Do I need the car as soon as I get off the plane?
- Am I returning the car to the same destination?
- What type of vehicle do I need?
- How long am I hiring the car for?
- What size car do I need for my luggage?
- Do I need a GPS device?
- Will I need any camping or outback equipment?
If you’re hiring a car for the first time, it’s understandable that you may be intimidated by all the options. Keep the following things in mind so that you get the best out of your car hire experience:
- Look for authorised car rental service providers at airports or train and bus stations
- Check existing levels of fuel and air before hiring the car
- Be aware of the under-24 excess charges for young drivers
- Check out week long rates as these can save you some money
- Have a look at flight and car rental bundle packages
- Be ready for surcharges and taxes that may increase the price
- Know which type of vehicle you want to hire and what you will need it for
- Be ready to decide if you want return the car with the pre-filled tank option, or fill up on the way back
- Be aware of what type of insurance you will need and expect to be offered additional insurance upon hire